PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Friday 31 December 2010

Favourite 5 of 2010

I sat last night scrolling through my blog to pick 5 for Debby's Favourite Five of 2010; this is the selection I decided to sleep on & review this morning with some comments added.

Unconsciously I chose only one image that I had actually coloured. Not that I didn't colour - it's just that it seems they weren't amongst my favourites. Now psychologists would have a field day with this - but............ it does actually reflect where I'm at in crafting terms. It was February last year that I first discovered artistic/realistic colouring (light, shade etc.....). During the past year I have spent hours sitting colouring with different mediums (media?) but still do not have any theoretical understanding - so that is what I shall tackle this year. I already have some of Suzanne Dean's Classes that I am enrolled for on line & have collected sufficient Copics colours now to do that justice & give it the time due to it. I was given these for my birthday last August & had to put them on hold whilst we organized my computer & the MCC Stamping Techniques opportunity presented itself to be completed within a specific time frame. With the techniques classes completed & enough computer skills to get by I can now tackle this.

This was the first stamp that I won upon discovering blogland - fittingly it is a Sugar Nellie whose advert in the Feb 2010 Craft Stamper caught my eye & it was following that up that led to my discovering images, colouring...... The rest is history.
details HERE

The other company I learnt much from was Whiff of Joy. I was given this Melinda stamp & love using it. I spent hours colouring this image & I lost count of how many I ditched - this one included when it didn't fit my first colour scheme but I kept it as I thought the colouring was good enough to do something with. I later used it for this card which I ended up being particularly pleased with.
details HERE

This I think is my all time favourite card.  There's just something about Leanne Ellis' Alice in Wonderland image with the caterpillar body, Alice head & rabbit's Top Hat juxtaposed with the different white textures & various golds.
details HERE

With this one it is the stamped chandelier White Resist background that I was particularly pleased with.
details HERE

Another of Leanne Ellis' distinctive Sugar Nellie designs that took on a life of its own when I made this Tent Card with her - it's the way the pearls fitted into the scalloped edges of the design that delighted me. I also had to work quite hard at solving the problem of finding an ink that would cover the brayering of the Joseph's Coat Technique.
details HERE

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

GREAT CHOICE i remember these and loved them all have a great evening huni i think i will spend it colouring lol xx

Annie said...

Fab cards - love the Joseph's coat technique and I agree with you about the pearls - cool fit.
Have a fab New Year's Eve and all the best for 2011.
Ann xxxx

Elaine said...

A beautiful and varied selection of cards Paula. I love to see all the many different techniques you have mastered! You are amazing....all I do is stamp and colour and that's it!

Wishing you and Saint R a very Happy and healthy new year.

With love & best wishes
Elaine xx

Deborah Frings said...

Fab selection of cards Paula - I love the chandelier one - very elegant.

Trust you had an enjoyable New Year's Eve.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
Deborah xx

Annie said...

Hi Paula! they are an insight into your creative journey during the past year and I look forward to seeing more next year, especially with your Copics. The WoW card is gorgeous and I love the Joseph's Coat technique card at the end - Happy New Year to you and yours.
love and hugs,
annie x

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Hello my friend!!!! I've missed you and wanted to stop by to wish you and Richard a very Happy New Year.

I love love LOVE your Favorite 5 for this year!!! I remember them all. I think my favorite is the Alice in Wonderland image too!!! It's so elegant and the image is just so darn interesting!!!

Thank you so much for your friendship!!! (((HUGS))))

PCM said...

Wonderful recap of the year. You have come a long way from the beginning to now - and I am looking forward to seeing the new creations you will make throughout this new year. TFS and being my friend!

Renkata said...

Ohhh they are all so sweet!
I read your post and just want to say that you will learn a lot from the online copic classes from Suzanne Dean.

debby4000 said...

Beautiful selection Paula, love the WOJ one.
Thanks for joining in with my challenge.
luv
Debby

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

What sweet cards, hun
Thank you for joining my blog candy
hugs
Claudia