PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Monday 20 December 2010

Brayering, A Sparkling Bauble & Snowflakes......Plus An Icicle

front of card

     

close-up showing sparkle of bauble

 close-up showing stamped swirl detail

inside of card

close-up showing brayered resist swirls
& vellum/cardstock layered snowflake
(click on images to enlarge)

This card is a good example of my current creative process as I don't create to an exact plan. I need a starting point to begin & then I see what happens. I've had Lisa's inking technique in my mind & it was when I saw what created itself via the brayer that I added experimenting with that technique. I know I was also heavily influenced by Deborah's Sparkly Baubles here & here. Going back to look at her posts I see that the Kaleidoscope must have lodged itself in my head - I just picked one of the transparent multicoloured embossing powders from my box, & I definitely had her cards in mind when hanging my own bauble from a swirl.

I was playing about with the Random Brayering technique where the brayer is applied in short random strokes whilst turning the cardstock, but instead of being completely random I turned it in a circle keeping one end of the brayer (& so one colour) central. I thought it looked like a shining light & that's where the bauble entered the experiment. Again I adapted the technique - inking the bauble with Distress Ink then VersaMark prior to stamping the image & instead of using clear embossing powder I used Kaleidoscope Transparent.

When it came to the inside it was a case of seeing the resist brayering (image stamped with VersaMark onto glossy cardstock then brayered over) I'd also been playing around with & taking it from there.

Apologies for my lengthy post but I want to credit those who have provided me with inspiration & explain how their posts trigger my imagination. Credit is also due to Glenda Waterworth whose thorough teaching via the MCC courses gave me such a diversity of techniques with which to work.

Recipe
Stamps Artemio 10001030 (bauble & swirls on front), Hero Arts CL234 Winter’s Butterfly (swirls on inside).
Inks etc… Kaleidacolor Caribbean Sea (brayering), Memento Tuxedo Black (swirls & edging some cardstock), Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink (bauble & edging some cardstock), VersaMark watermark stamp pad with Stampendous Kaleidoscope Embossing Powder.
Cardstock Crafter’s Companion Centura Pearl (light blue pearl) plus an assortment of colours in various finishes from “stash”.
Papers Vellum from “stash”.
Punches, Dies etc... Woodware (circle & scalloped circle, large snowflakes), Dovecraft (small snowflakes), EK Success (Swirl Flourish).
The gems are from “stash”.

Challenges Entered
Bunny Zoe's Crafts Challenge 7 - Sparkle & Shine
Wags 'n Whiskers Challenge 42 - Snowflakes


We had some thawing of the snow yesterday so the guttering was dripping water (looks like the seals will have to be replaced when the weather improves). The temperature sank well below freezing overnight so that which had melted froze -  & I was met with icicles hanging outside my craft room window this morning.

5 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Hi Paula - this is a stunning card, just love it!! You've certainly mastered those techniques we learnt. Thank you for the shout out I appreciate it! I love using the sparkly embossing powder - makes things so pretty. Take card
Deborah xx

xxxtglxxx said...

Hi Paula :)

This is an amazing effect on this card! Stunning. I havent seen anything like this. A simple bauble looks so outstanding! :)

Loving the icicle pics - we have 'micicles' here. I dont know what the correct term for growing upwards icicles! :D but if you have stalagtites and stalagmites, then maybe you have icicles and micicles! lol

hugs

xxalisonxx

Annie said...

Hi Paula! I love the circular brayering technique you have done for your bauble card - it's a stunner! we have lots of icicles here today as well - thaws in the sunshine then freezes at night making it treacherous in the mornings. oh for a nice south westerly rain storm!
stay warm and dry.
hugs, annie x

Deborah Frings said...

Hi Paula - tried to email you this morning, but it bounced back. Yours is the second aol address to do that - are there problems?

Take care, Deborah x

Lorraine said...

oh WOW this is so beautiful Paula i absolutely love it huni you are a genius when it comes to brayering and these kind of techniques I just know i am going to learn alot from you when i get a brayer,I love the sparkling bauble and the colours you have chosen its a really beautiful card all round xxx