PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Saturday 25 December 2010

My Christmas Musings

This Christmas being my first as a blogger I find myself thinking about the international dimension of blogging amongst Crafters - how we variously celebrate this essentially Christian festival with different images & traditions. Without realising it my choice of cards in the previous post also reflects the different iconography associated with this season - from the cute to the traditional, snowflakes & baubles to The Star of Wonder & Bethlehem

"........ which is called Bethlehem........ For unto you is borne this day, in the citie of David, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a signe unto you; yee shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the Angel a multitude of the heavenly hoste praising God, and saying, glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good wil towards men."
(Holy Bible 1611 Authorized Version, Gospel According to Saint Luke - Chapter 2: verses 4 &11-14).

Christmas Eve was the day for gift giving in my Swedish family with the traditional Lutfisk (white fish)  & Rice Pudding Christmas lunch followed by unwrapping of gifts as soon as darkness fell. Here in the UK it is Christmas Day Morning for the parcel opening followed by the Christmas meal of Roast Turkey with trimmings & Christmas/Plum Pudding later in the day. 

And so, 
I wish you all a peaceful Christmas 

Thinking about crafting & blogging I am reminded how it began for me; the following is my entry into the Crafty Cardmakers Challenge 36 which is to post a particular favourite creation alongside the first/earliest one (of which there is a photograph).

I stumbled into crafting when my Mum bought me a paper embossing kit just before she died (Feb 2008). When she saw what I started to do with it she told me to go to a box & to have the contents - in it was some card, a small guillotine, craft mat, knife & a few other bits & pieces. She had some books & I looked but said I didn't think I'd be interested in stamping so would leave the stamping one - I managed to retrieve that stamping book before the house was cleared & now it is stamping that thrills me.

My very first experience of stamping an image was at a Sakura Pens Craft Workshop 28th March 2008 when I coloured the peel off dragonflies & stamped daffodils with an assortment of Sakura Pens to produce this

My favourite/latest is this Christmas card 
details HERE

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

oh hi what a wonderful post its so nice to read how others around the world celebrate this special time and you have come so far in your crafting since your first card but it is still beautiful,I hope you have a wonderful day hun xx

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

merry Christmas dear Paula
love
claudia

Anonymous said...

Love what you have done with the Sakura pens, and your bauble card is gorgeous - thanks for all the info. And thanks for joining in the fun at Crafty Cardmakers this week. xx

Juls said...

Loving this challenge...Its so lovely to see the start that everyone had!!! I love your latest card you have done...the inking techneques you have done are just gorgeous!!! Hugs Juls

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

The cards are lovely, the inking technique is fab on the one with the bauble.

Thanks for grabbing the Penny Black at Allsorts blog hop logo!

Maarit

Deborah Frings said...

Paula - so nice to hear about other traditions at Christmas. I hope that you had a brilliant day. Our family get together was great, but unfortuantely my sister-in-law was rather unwell. However, she recovered and was able to join in the fun.

So nice to see your first card and your most recent - you really have taken to the brayering technique - looks fab!!

Axes DesigNs said...

Paula.. your blog is so pretty.. and your cards so lovely.. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

xxxtglxxx said...

Lovely post Paula :) made me feel all warm :)
I too have fond memories of being inspired by my mum and then in turn inspiring each other with crafting. A lot of my early cards were just like yours - a scattering of peel offs coloured in, and quite a bit of white card showing too. Amazing really, as peel offs were once my passion and I have hundreds of sheets of them hiding in my stash! lol!

I love your bauble card - its breathtaking, honestly!

Have a great new year, and I look forward to seeing what we both come up with next year!

hugs

xxalisonxx

Annie said...

Hi Paula! I have loved following your blog and your crafting journey throughout the past year, and love that we have become blog friends too! I so hope our friendship continues and I look forward to seeing your projects in the months ahead.
I hope your Christmas was Merry and Bright and wish you and your family a happy and peaceful New Year.
love and hugs,
annie x

Sheila said...

Adore your latest and your first is inspiring! TY for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers! Sheila:)X

Lin said...

Both of your cards are lovely, but that bauble one is really lush and vibrant.

Thanks for joining in the fun at Crafty Cardmakers. Do hope to see you back again.

Lin - Lil Miss Chatterbox