PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Whiff of Joy Challenge DT - #85 Jane's Sketch

front of card

close-up showing detail of image &
floral garland

close-up showing glittered swirl
& stamped swirls border

back of card

close-up showing swirls decoration &
paper piercing of message panel

dimensional view of the Shadow Box Card


A sketch by Jane forms the basis for the Whiff Of Joy Challenge #86. The details of a Design Team Call are also being posted with this challenge. The sketch lends itself to a number of interpretations - for suggestions see the examples from the rest of the Design Team.

I cannot honestly say which idea presented itself to me first when I saw the sketch: Jane's Punched Screen Card technique featured a couple of months ago on the Whiff Of Joy Tutorials & Inspirations Blog; or the Shadow Box Card format (for a tutorial on how to make one of these see Splitcoaststampers). Also, in accordance with my normal preference to make a card without explicit wording I have replaced the sentiment with a floral embellishment.

This snail image is one of my favourites - she just delights me & reminds me of Brian the fantasy snail character from "The Magic Roundabout" 1960s Children's television. This, along with "Blue Peter", Enid Blyton's books & such programmes as "Andy Pandy" & "Camberwick Green" were instrumental in my learning to speak & read/write English. 

Recipe
Stamps Whiff Of Joy "Cute Snail" (image), Whiff Of Joy Spring Swirls (swirl).
Inks etc.... Memento Tuxedo Black (image), Distress Inks (Dusty Condord & Worn Lipsitck) for inking all cardstock edges except the punched swirls, the Dusty Concord also being used for stamping the swirl border patterns. 
Colouring Copic Ciaos & Sketch, Stickles Glitter Glue (Cotton Candy), Liquid Pearls (White Opal).
Cardstock White "pebble dash" textured (mage panel) - Bits N Pieces A4 Assorted Embossed Card (Snow White Textures); Moondust mauve, white, textured white, pale & bright pink from "stash".
Paper Patterned vellum - Nancy Watt Collection from Making Cards May 2008. 
Punches Woodware (circle & scalloped circles, leaves, smallest flowers), Xcut (largest flowers), EK Success (swirl flourish).
Flowers The white spotted pink is Prima Esprit Orange & the white from "stash".
The jewel brad is Dovecraft, the pearls are Kanban & the gems are from "stash".

Challenges Entered
Anything Goes Wk 12 - Three Layers (I have 3 decorated layers on my card: the image layer inside the Shadow Box; the decorated layer around the circular opening; the decorated back)
Crafts & Me #11 - Petals & Pearls
Magical Monday #3 - Flowers (see above for fantasy snail)
Paper Play Wk 33 - Pink
Papertake Weekly - Recipe: 3-2-1 (3 types of bling - gems, pearls & jewel brad, 2 stamps were used, 1 coloured image)
Polka Doodles - Colouring Competition
Stampavie & More #105 - Swirls
Stamp With Fun #73 - Card for a Girl

14 comments:

Manuela said...

Great card, Paula! I like it a lot! ♥

Hugs,
¤ Manuela¤

Annie said...

such a cute magical snail on your card Paula, and fabulous details - I love all the punched leaves and flowers around the appertain. hope it's not too wet where you are today - it's bucketing down here in Cornwall!
hugs, annie x

Victoria said...

lovely card ador ethe box thank you fo rjoining us on magicla mondays x

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Wow Paula, this is really a sweet card. I've never tried a shadow box card before. Those swirls you used are perfect for a snail image....how clever!! It makes it all very whimsical. I adore the paper piercing you did on the back sentiment panel, it's the perfect little detail. :)

Your comment to me this morning made me smile. I would love it if we could sit down together and make cards. Wouldn't that be so fun?!?!
As for the distressing....I just treat the pieces rough and "mean" when I'm doing it. And do it in pieces too. That way if you did something you didn't like...you can replace it without ruining the whole card. My ribbon fraying happened by accident and after looking at it for a few minutes I decided that I liked it. LOL :)

Big Hugs,
Wendy

Tara Godfrey said...

Ahhhh Paula this is really brilliant, hun! I just adore what you have done with the Sketch...so creative! And the Image and is super cute...love the flowers and flourishes too!
Thanks for you sweet, sweet comments hun you are just too kind!
Big Hugs,t

Lorraine said...

oh wow Paula this is truely excellent I love the style of the card its so different must try one of these and that image well what can I say except I need that one lol she is coloured to perfection and I love all the floral detail and the swirls down the sides a really special card xx

Giò said...

Hi Paula!!! This shadow box card is so cute!!! I love the leaves and flowers at the bottom .... WOW!!!!
Have a great day
Giò

Anonymous said...

Love all the details on your card Paula - looks as if it took you ages to make. I;ve never seen such a cute snail! Thanks for shring it with us at PTW.

Elaine said...

Stunning Paula!
Such a lovely cute image and perfectly coloured.
Your floral garland is most beautiful, and I love the shadow box, something I have to try yet.
Hugs Elaine xx

Andrea said...

Very great card - so nice motiv! Wonderful detais. Thanks for joining stamp with fun.
Hugs
Andrea-Emmi41

Jayne Hayward said...

Gorgeous card - love all the leaves and flowers around the circle. Thanks for joining in with us on Magical Monday Challenge

Jayne xx

Michele Roos said...

Such a fabulous card Paula. Love the image you've used and the colours also. Hugs Michele x

crafty amy said...

Awe Paul this is so cute I love that little snail and the swirls are so perfectly placed :D
Thank you for joining us at crafts and me and good luck.

Hugs

Amy xx

Kim said...

Paula this is so adorable hun! LOVE how you framed your cute snail with that fun technique!!! Gorgeous work! Ok...gotta run...next class is calling! hee hee!
Big Hugs~ Kim