PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Sunday 10 April 2011

Say it With............

.......... hugs,
.......... flowers,
.......... an ATC...... & turn it into a card.


My initial steps in crafting & very flat non-dimensional colouring were in the realm of ATCs - back in May 2008; so when the Penny Black Reader Challenge theme for this week (the tenth week already) was announced as an ATC last Monday I decided to do some thinking around the subject & to incorporate my ATC into a larger project. With sorting out our Broadband - it turned out to be a corroded telephone wire 130m from our property which needed repairing - I've run out of time to do the second part but that just goes to show that the ATC is complete in itself. It has also worked to my advantage for a couple of challenges have been posted which I'd not have known about had I started earlier but which provided the catalyst for some unlooked for inspiration - but more about those in my card post which will follow in due course.


First things first. What is an ATC? This Penny Black post explains:


"A little about ATCs; Artist Trading Cards (or ATCs) are miniature works of art about the same size as modern baseball cards, 2 ½ X 3 ½ inches (63 mm X 89 mm), and small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets. The ATC movement developed out of the mail art movement and has its origins in Switzerland. Cards are produced in various media, including dry media (pencils, pens, markers, etc.), wet media (watercolor, acrylic paints, etc.), paper media (in the form of collage, papercuts, found objects, etc.) or even metals or cloth. The cards are usually traded or exchanged rather than sold. "


It is also customary to put the artist's name & contact details on the back together with the title or theme of the ATC plus the date.


ATC front

ATC back

close-up showing bow, heat embossed sentiment
& different textures of navy cardstock tags


close-up of focal image

angled photo to show dimension of 
glittered Flower Soft & flower
(click on images to enlrage)

Although I frequently shape punched butterflies & flowers using an embossing/ball tool with an embossing mat  I've not previously shaped small elements to 3D in the way that Debby does. However, I was particularly struck by her Hero Arts Poppy Card, so I decided to have a go at adding some physical dimension to the flower above my cuddling mice. I also wanted to give a furry texture to the flower head but as I only have Ivory & an unknown Mixed Pot I thought I'd add some Stickles Glitter Glue to the ivory to make it more interesting. 


ETA 11/4 - See my link in the sidebar or here for Kathy Racoosin's use of Flower Soft when it comes to flower centres, especially the post here on the Penny Black blog or  here on her own blog. In fact it was Kathy's use of Flower Soft over the past few days that reminded me how useful it can be. Although I had no idea of today's post I doubt I'd have thought of using it with glitter if I'd not seen her post here using brown.


Recipe
Stamps Penny Black 30-020 Hugs! (image & sentiment).
Inks Memento Tuxedo Black (image); Tumbled Glass Distress Ink (inking some cardstock edges); VersaMark watermark stamp pad with Stampendous Detail White Embossing Powder (sentiment).
Colouring Derwent Artists Pencils with paper stumps & Sansodor; Inkssentials White Opaque Pen & Uni-ball Eye Needle Point Black Pen; Ice Stickles Glitter Glue (Crystal ice) & Flower Soft (ivory).
Cardstock Textured navy (I've used the reverse smoother side for the small "hugs" tag) & pearlescent turquoise from stash.
Punches Woodware (large tag), Xcut (small tag), Fiskars (ornate corner).
The navy bow came out of a packet of pre-tied bows amongst my stash as did the floral gems.
The miniscule gem above "hugs" is Papermania.


Challenge Entered
Penny Black Weekly Reader Challenge 10 - Artist Trading Cards (see above)

10 comments:

Donalda said...

Oh hon this is just so cute !!!! I so love this dear. I love the center of the flower how clever dear. Just beautiful hon. I am so glad you got your internet fixed. Took them long enough didn't it? Hope you are having a great day dear. Hugs

Pink Dandelion said...

Really lovely ATC Paula, love how you have debbylised the flower and the flower soft and glitter mix is fab. Debs xx

Annie said...

glad you are all sorted out and back with us Paula! and your cute little mice on your ATC are just adorable - now I'm looking forward to seeing the card version!
hugs, annie x

Lorraine said...

oh hun this is so adorable i just love it i have to email you later too got to tell you a few things i hope your ok and i hope you win the challenges xx

Giò said...

Dear Paula, this is a super cute tag. Sweet image and great 3D effect. I love also the embossed background. If you want, you can enjoy to TIMBROSCRAPMANIA challenge with this creation, the theme is self-made background. You find the link button on my blog.
Huge hugs, Giò

xxxtglxxx said...

Do you know what Paula - I have never ever made an ATC!!! I received one once (I think Create and Craft had got 1,000's of em and just bunged em all in the post!) lol.

I dont think I would know where to begin, but I know for sure I couldnt fit everything I would like on such a little space! :) lol

Your ATC looks brilliant - great sized image for this and too cute! Love the glittered flower centre, and your corner details really catch your eye. I love the idea of placing a tag on an ATC too.

Have a great week,

hugs

xxalisonxx

GinaA said...

The stamped image is a perfect fit, and the finish is perfect as usual.
I have never been able to use flowersoft with any sucess but will try something like this.
Your handwriting is amazing
Happy Inking
GinaA
x xx

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Hi Paula, so sorry that I've not stopped by for a visit lately. Too many activities and not enough time!! :) I wish I had the time to comment on all of your beautiful creations that I've missed, but I have looked at them all.

I think this ATC is my favorite. Love the flowersoft on the flower and the image is just so sweet!!

I'm hoping things are well with you my friend. I'm looking forward to the pace of things slowing down a bit so I don't have to miss my visits for so long!! :)

Autumn said...

Beautiful Paula1! I love the colors, the deep blues really make the mice and flower stand out. The dimension on your flower is fantastic and the mixture of flowersoft and stickles for the center is perfect!!
Hope you are haaving a wonderful day!
xxAutumn

PCM said...

How adorable - love the little image and you have done such a wonderful job with the coloring. Miss chatting!!!