PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Thursday 7 April 2011

Blue Butterfly Bliss

front of card

close-up of background stamping

close-up showing glittering & dimensional shaping
 of stamped butterflies plus paper piercing  

close-ups of textures, stamped elements & gem embellished border 

close-up of paper piercing & corner detail
on inside of card

inside of card
(click on images to enlarge)

Apologies for the different colouration in the last photo - I spent hours trying to get the full frontal & full internal shots in focus on the non automatic setting, after using up the whole of a newly charged camera battery I resorted to the automatic for the last photo as I just could not get it to focus properly on my manual settings; but then the colour differed! 

Simply Stampin' is a new UK based Stampin' Up Challenge which launched with a sketch challenge this week. I have one set of Stampin' Up stamps so shall endeavour to enter the challenges using that until I have some more supplies. I have a full set of Memento Dew Drop inkpads so for the moment I shall be using the nearest equivalents to the Stampin' Up colours that I can find from amongst those, providing of course challenges permit my doing so. I always thought Stampin' Up synonymous with CAS but have recently realised that is not necessarily the case so I have some exploring to do.  I have already been looking at the Stampin' Up Color Coach  & found some very helfpul information about Colour Theory.
I was just playing about with the butterflies & had used my ball tool & embossing mat to shape them after cutting out to see how they might look - I was surprised & pleased by the outcome so decided to use a couple for my focal panel. 

Recipe
Stamps Stampin' Up Bliss (background, butterflies & sentiment).
Inks Memento Danube Blue.
Colouring Ice Stickles Glitter Glue (Silver Ice).
Cardstock An assortment of whites & blues in various textures & finishes from stash.
Paper Textured blue from stash.
Punches Martha Stewart (border), Woodware (scalloped ovals), EK Success (Fancy Photo Corner).
The gems are from stash.

Challenge Entered
Simply Stampin' Challenge 1 - Sketch (see above)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, pretty background!...love the set-up and the butterflies, the way they kind of mirror each other, but don't. it's a really clean card with just a touch of fancy**!!

xoxo

Sharon said...

Thanks so much for joining in with the first Simply Stampin Challenge. Your card is beautiful. I especially like how you have stamped the background.
Yes the challenge allows you to use non SU stuff as long as you use one SU sentiment o image.
The colour coach is fab - I agree! Until you get one there is a fab site here that you could use http://colorlab.mycreateink.com/

Hope you join us again on Saturday....x

Becky said...

This is a beautiful card, and I agree with Sharon, the stamped background really is lovely. Thanks for entering the Simply Stampin' Challenge this week,
Bx

Lorraine said...

oh wow huni this one i just love the background stamping is gorgeous such a pretty stamp and i love those butterflies too this so deserves to win a lovely prize hun so good luck i will keep everything crossed for you
much love
Lorraine xx

kelly said...

gorgeous, love that you've stamped the background as well as the main image
kelly xx

Elaine said...

Stunning Card - got to love butterflies!

Caroline said...

hank you so much for joining in the first ever Simply Stampin Challenge, I'm so glad you did, your card is lovely. Good Luck and please join us again. x

Niki Rowland said...

Gorgeous card, such striking colours and I love how you have interpreted the sketch. Thanks for joining us at the Simply Stampin' Challenge, Niki x

Unknown said...

Thank you for joining us at Simply Stampin' your card is beautiful, I love those crisp colours.

Elaine said...

Gorgeous card Paula.
You've done a great stamped background and the dimension on the butterflies really makes them stand out. Love the beautiful shades of blue too.

Love Elaine xx

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

so pretty, love the colours you have chosen

Have a fab weekend

ali x

xxxtglxxx said...

Just brilliant Paula :)

I love the gorgeous blues, and the background is so elegant. I really, really love the gems on the border, they are perfect.

Great to use paper-piecing on the butterflies and I think the stamped sentiment is delightful.

Glad to have you back! :)

hugs

xxalisonxx

GinaA said...

You have such attention to detail, using print for the butterflies works really well. The whole thing is very profesional.

Happy Inking
GinaA
xx x

Giò said...

WOW!!! I totally love the background you created!!! The SU set you used is one of my favorites!! The blue tones made this card really elegant.
Have a favulous week end
Giò

Deborah Frings said...

Wow!! Paula - this is absolutely stunning! I love the colour and the SU Bliss set is just beautiful!! I do like the way you also make the inside of your cards so lovely too!