PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Saturday 11 February 2012

Colourful Collage of Crowned Chevrons Alphatag

This was somewhat of an  adventure but I had so many ideas for my “C” Alphatag (Baroque Guild Swap) that I decided to combine several  into my approximation of a ‘collage.’ I cannot begin to describe the excitement of seeing  this idea using techniques from my first two MCC stamping courses actually “work” in front of my eyes.

front of tag
close-up showing details of masked elements
& heat embossed crown
close-up showing sparkle of embellished
heat embossed crown 
back of tag
close-up showing texture & sheen of
heat embossed chevron pattern
close-up showing details & paper
piercing of theme panel

The chevron background was stamped & heat embossed with clear embossing powder & the tag then initially inked with a rainbow of Nick Bantock inks. The letter masks were then positioned & another layer of inks applied in the masked areas.  After taking the masks off I carefully ironed the whole tag to remove the clear embossing powder & finally stamped & heat embossed the crowns in black. 

Thinking about the back I thought I’d continue the “C” theme with black & white for Contrast  using the chevron background again & heat embossing with clear pearly embossing powder to achieve a tone on tone effect. I was grinning when I selected  the black & white Checked ribbon from my box but, by the time it dawned on me that I’d used Crystal gems to embellish my large crown, I was beginning to wonder whether variations of “C” were pursuing me.

Recipe
Stamps Chocolate Baroque UA4SP0371 Texture Fragments (Chevron background), UDLSP0205  Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh (large crown) & UA5SP0316 Royal Fleur de Lys (small crowns).
Inks Chartreuse Leaf, Chrome Yellow, Damson Plum, Prussian Blue, Rose Madder, & Vermillion Lacquer Nick Bantock Inks (background);  Emboss Tinted Embossing Stamp Pad with Stampendous  Embossing Powders (Detail Black - crowns, Detail Clear - chevrons on front, Satin Pearl - chevrons on back); Black Soot Distress Ink for inking various cardstock edges.
Colouring White Pentel K118 Hybrid Gel Grip Pen.
Cardstock White & assorted blacks in various finishes from stash.
Masks Tim Holtz idea-ology - Ransom.
Die Sizzix Movers & Shapers L Die - Tag & Bookplates.
Punch Woodware (scalloped rectangle).
The gems are Anita’s & the ribbon is from stash.

Challenges Entered
Allsorts Week 141 - Free & Easy February
Totally Papercrafts 103 - It's A Rainbow

23 comments:

Aquarius said...

You've certainly included lots of 'C' elements in this gorgeous tag and the finished effect is great. I like the chevron effect and the clever masking with the letters - s-me lucky member will love this to add to their collection I'm sure.

veronica said...

like this one Paula - very original idea, and it looks great. I was the lucky recipient of your A tag, which is better in real life than on the blog, someone is going to be very happy with this one!

jackiescrafts said...

Paula this is a fantastic tag, I love all the techniques you have used and all the "c" things you have included....very clever. I also really love the bright ink colours you chose

Jackie x

Pink Dandelion said...

Ooh Paula this is lovely, love the embossed chevrons, they really pop and the embossed crown with the crystal gems is delightful. Debs xx

Kathryn said...

Ohhh very nice :) xx

Lorraine said...

wow wow wow this is amazing love it the lovely bright colours are blended so perfectly and i just love the heat embossed crown its such a gorgeous tag hun xx

Miranda said...

Lovely tag Paula, like the structure fragments on it and those rainbow colours! greetz Miranda

Elizabeth Allan said...

Paula not only is this a collage of stamps, but also a collage of ideas. Wonderful depth with the combination of masking, inking and overstamping. Fantastic balance of the design which lends movement to the tag.

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

Fantastic as always Paula :O)

Ali x

Annie said...

Excellent work with the collage style Paula - I can never get it to look so good when I try (mine usually end up in the bin). fabulous colours and details that have you going back to look again .. ..
hugs, annie x

Jean said...

This wonderful Paula, I love the beautiful bright colours and the stamps you've used.Thank you for your kind comments on my blog and for joining as a follower. I have added myself to your followers too so I can come back and see your lovely tags. Jean x

brenda said...

What delightful work Paula with super results and wonderful depth and vibrancy achieved.

Apols it's taken so long to here here, 'puter probs !

Thank you so much for joining our Free and Easy theme at Allsorts this week,good luck and hope you will join us again month.

B x

judith@poppy cottage said...

A very striking tag Paula, incorporating some great techniques. Anyone who receives your tags should count themselves lucky at the great care and thought that you have put into them.

You look like you are really enjoying your latest MCC class with Glenda. Colouring brings me a great deal of pleasure.

Judith xx

Nicoletta said...

Lovely tag!!! the bright colours are fabulous!
Hugs
Nicoletta

xxxtglxxx said...

Hi Paula :)

This is just mesmerising hun! I enlarged the piccie to have a closer look and there is so much to see. Gorgeous zingy colours, great imagery and such blending! Wow!

Great showcase of some wonderful techniques! :)

hugs

xxalisonxx

Giò said...

Hi Paula!!! Absolutely stunning this card!!! I am in love with colors and this tag you made seem perfect for me LOL it's an explosion of colors and the Black crowns let seem the colors more bright.
Have a nice night
Giò

GinaA said...

This is just fabulous Paula, nice use of all of the C's. The rainbow colouring is stunning and I love the clear embossed resist.

Victoria said...

what a lovely card thank you so much for joining us on totally papercrafts this week for our rainbow challenge

vicky x

Kath Stewart said...

wow paula...love your tag...gorgeous texture on your background...and hey I think I need a bigger house and we can do B&B scoring and folding weekends...hugs kath xxx

Heather said...

Hi Paula, hope you are well and behaving your self!!!
Your tag is sensational, I love all the details and your choice of colours, the added texture is great.
hugs
xx Heather xx

Donalda said...

Girl this is just gorgeous !!!! Man I so love this all the depth you have in it, just breath taking dear. I do hope you are doing well hon. Still working lots of hours. Hugs dear

craftimamma said...

What a fabulous tag Paula! Beautiful blending of such wonderful bright colours with seamless graduation of one colour to another. Lovely combination of techniques too and plenty of C's in the mix. I always admire the way you pay almost as much attention to the back as the front. I'd be very happy if I were adding this to my collection.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Kirsten Alicia said...

That is gorgeous.