I finally managed to buy some Hot Pressed Watercolour paper & recently obtained some Stampin' Up! Whisper White cardstock, Ryman's Coated Card & some cardstock specifically designed for use with alcohol markers. So, these were what I used with my favourite inkpads for the purposes of testing:
- the clarity of the stamped impression;
- the combined response of ink & paper to water;
- the ability to manipulate the ink if/when it migrates.
Nick Bantock Dye Inkpad - Lamp Black
Tim Holtz Distress Dye Inkpad - Black Soot
Memento Dye Inkpad - Tuxedo Black
Memories Dye Inkpad - BlackAn amazingly reliable clearly defined & detailed stamped impression which is completely water resistant.
Brilliance Pigment Inkpad - Graphite Black
VersaFine Pigment Inkpad - Onyx Black
The surfaces of the Ryman's, Premium & Whisper White cardstocks were all affected by contact with water leaving a residual furriness to the touch as opposed to the smooth finish where there had been no contact. It really is a matter of using the appropriate ink & cardstock for the medium with which I wish to colour & the technique I want to use, so these are my current preferences.
- A Memento inkpad on one of the glass smooth or coated cardstocks (I've yet to decide which of those I prefer) when colouring with alcohol markers.
- The Memories inkpad on watercolour paper for any colouring technique where I want a crisp defined stamped imprint with no ink migration upon the application of water. I personally prefer the lighter weight (90lbs/190gsm) Cotman Cold Pressed /NOT*GRAIN FIN watercolour paper to the above Langton as it is easily obtainable (in the UK it can even be obtained at a Hight Street W H Smith & sometimes at a considerable discount) & has fractionally more tooth allowing easier blending/layering of coloured pencils. The other advantage of using the 190gsm is that it is "scissor friendly" & can be used where detailed (fussy) cutting out of images is required.
- The Distress or Nick Bantock inkpad on watercolour paper where I wish to utilize the water soluble migration properties of the ink for colouring.
Stamp Elusive Images (now Chocolate Baroque) UA5SP0328 Mermaid Queen.
Cardstock Langton - Daler-Rowney The Langton Extra Smooth Hot Pressed Watercolour Paper 140lb 300gsm; Ryman - Ryman Bright White Coated Card 200gsm; Premium - Southfield Premium Pure White Glass Smooth Bleed Resistant 200gsm; Whisper White - Stampin' Up! Whisper White Smooth Cardstock.