PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Friday, 4 March 2011

Paper Piecing Sun-caressed With Melon Melody

front of card 

close-ups of paper pieced
 leaves & blossoms


close-up of black pearls in lieu of 
 sentiment plus floral ribbon

inside of card - the paper pierced scallops
are just visible
(click on photos to enlarge)

The topic this week for the Penny Black Reader Challenge is paper piecing with various examples of this technique by Peet Roven being shown on the Penny Black Blog. The posts have added a whole new dimension to my understanding of the technique for I now realize it can even include using my own brayered pieces of cardstock. When I saw the colours that Kathy had posted with the sketch for the colour "throw down"  challenge with Vicky & Deborah (also open to readers of Kathy's blog) I was reminded of the Kaleidacolor rainbow inkpad "Melon Melody" & so I used that to brayer some glossy cardstock for the background & stamping my image onto for the paper piecing. The smallest leaves & flowers are coloured with Derwent Coloursoft pencils which I found to be more vibrant than the Derwent Artists when used on the blue cardstock.
Recipe
Stamp Penny Black 3638K Sun-caressed.
Inks Memento Tuxedo Black (image), Kaleidacolor Melon Melody (brayering).
Colouring Derwent Coloursoft pencils with paper stumps & Sansodor.
Cardstock Blue, black & glossy white from stash.
Punches Woodware (circle & scalloped circle).
The black pearls are Papermania & the blue floral ribbon is from stash.

Challenges Entered
Dream Valley Challenge 1 - Anything Goes

18 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow you are a master of paper piecing! So happy to see that you are also entering this in the Penny Black weekly contest too and the color throw down. I have to guess you want some Penny Black stamps...lol
Your card is so beautiful thanks so much for submitting :) Hugs, Kathy

Kathy said...

Paula I have to say that you were so nice to give so much info in your post. I know how long these posts take...to long right?? I hope your number is drawn and you have a good chance :) Thanks for always taking the time to leave sweet comments on my blog. Hugs, Kathy
Happy Weekend :)

louise said...

Gorgeous card and the colour effect is amazing,thanks for joining us at Penny Black at Allsorts.
Hugs Louise xx

brenda said...

Hi there Paula

What a pretty card, a real feel of Spring about it.

Thank you so much for sharing with us at Penny Black at Allsorts Challenge this month and hope to see you again.

B x

Mervi said...

Hej Paula!

Great masterpiece of paper piecing!!!
So stylish and elegant spring card.


Thank you for sharing this with us at
Penny Black @ Allsorts, good luck;-))m

Stamping 4 Pleasure said...

WOW - unusual and oh so pretty!
Hugs, Sandra

Annie said...

Hi Paula! catching up with you here, and what a stunner of a card this is! I love those warm sunny colours and the layout is very striking. thanks for stopping by my blog whilst I've been poorly, I do appreciate your visits. Hope you have a great weekend.
hugs, annie x

walchowDesign said...

Wow! this is super, Paula! Love the colour combo and the paperpiecing is fantastic!

Linda said...

Paula another stunning creation. Love how you have paper pieced the flower xxx

Lorraine said...

omg Paula i have missed you i promise to mail you this weekend,I love this card the gradiation is so smooth it looks amazing and my brayer arrived yesterday so i shall have a practice 2morrow take care
hugs 2 u xx

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining Penny Black @ allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Jennie said...

Fabulous card! I love the paper piecing! ITs gorgeous!

Thanks so much for joining us at Dream Valley for our first challenge x

xxxtglxxx said...

I love paper-piecing :)

This is so stunning, I couldnt tell! :D

Amazing Paula, a really outstanding creation, very artistic and a real wow piece!

hugs

xxalisonxx

Ellie said...

Gorgeous card! Love the brayered paper you made,and the colors are just amazing!

Thanks so much for sharing with us at penny black at all sorts, hope to see you again soon!

saturated canary said...

you have so many different techniques...and you are good at all of them!...i love the gradient of colors throughout the card...and the black pearls instead of any wording is perfect...

have a lovely weekend!

xo, krista

TaraG said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Paula! I love the beautiful cheery colours and how you have blended them into each other! Fabulous way to use your own paper for paper piecing!!!! This card is a ray of sunshine! It was raining here yesterday so I had my hopes up that spring was on the way. Then woke up to snow this morning...winter still has his grip on. Hope you have a lovely weekend, hun!
Hugs,t

Debs said...

A gorgeous, jolly and bright card Paula. I love how you have used the big and juicy to brayer the background and then to paper piece with the same paper. Fab paper piercing on the insided too. Debs xx

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

WOW!!! Love that you used your brayered cardstock to do your paper piecing. I would have never thought to do that. Love how bright and cheerful the colors are.