PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Sunday, 27 March 2011

Backgrounds & Some Recycling

EDITED - for some reason it isn't possible to click & enlarge my images - I shall have a fiddle & redo the photos Monday morning. It must have something to do with my camera settings.

EDITED 28 Mar - see HERE for enlargeable photos

front of card

close-up of background stamping & poppy head plus
the inked, glittered & paper pierced image panel

close-up showing glittered butterflies,
paper piercing & background stamping

inside of card

close-up showing textured paper
& background stamping


I was working on the background stamping for this week's Penny Black Reader Challenge (all I was managing was lots of bin filling with repeat grid stamping in patterns which just did not gel) when I half-heartedly picked up one of my large floral stamps & with some careful positioning there was my background. I then carried that through onto the inside of my card to form the bordering for the matting of the message panel.

I recycled the dark green ribbon from a Christmas cake, the yellow from an Easter chocolate lollipop & the two pieces of cardstock I die-cut & inked for the matting of the main image are from the packaging of my Memento dewdrop ink pads.

I tried embellishing the textured green paper but nothing looked right & I decided it was best left alone. I seem to end up paper piercing something on my card as I love the technique & have just received a Stampin' Up Mat Pack which I'm itching to have a play with. Thanks to Ali I knew that a Stampin' Up Mat Pack existed & when I knew there was to be a Stampin' Up Demonstrator a few weeks ago at the Atstamps Wales craft show I set out to buy one. I was so utterly impressed by the punches, stamps & inks I saw & handled during the Stampin' Up Make & Take at the show that I've arranged to be a hostess for a party in May & I'm thoroughly looking forward to exploring Stampin' Up products further.

Recipe
Stamps Penny Black 3645K Modesty (background), Penny Black 30-047 Flowers & Wishes (image).
Inks Memento Tuxedo Black (image); ColorBox Fluid Chalk Lime Pastel (background stamping & inking of recycled cardstock plus cardstock & paper edges);  Shabby Shutters & Forest Moss Distress Inks (for inking cardstock edges).
Colouring Derwent Artists Pencils with paper stumps & Sansodor, Inkssentials White Opaque Pen, Stickles Glitter Glue (Lime Green).
Cardstock The card base of pearlised green is Crafter's Companion, the two die-cut layers are recycled (see above) & the remaining green & yellow assortment is from stash.
Paper Textured green from stash.
Punches, Dies etc... Woodware (scalloped circles inside card, butterflies), Spellbinders Nestabilites (Classic Ovals Large & Classic Scalloped Ovals Small for image panel).
The ribbons are recycled (see above).

Challenges Entered
Penny Black Weekly Reader Challenge 8 - Background Stamping (see above)
Penny Black Saturday Challenge Week 144 - Recycling (see above)
Penny Black @ Allsorts March Challenge - Welcome Spring
Simon Says Stamp Challenge - Mother's Day/Girlie (Had she still been alive my Mum would have loved this)
The Ribbon Girl Colour Challenge 6 - Green & Yellow
Wild Orchid Challenge 19 - Dieing To Punch It Out (I've used dies & punches as above)

14 comments:

Donalda said...

Oh hon this is just gorgeous !!!! I so love the background paper you made dear it is just gorgeous. Such beautiful work hon and I just love those butterflys. Hope you are doing well my friend

Elaine said...

Beautiful card Paula.
Your background paper is fabulous (something I've never actually tried myself)and I love the little butterflies with varying depths of colour.

Stampin'Up products are fab and really good quality, you'll really enjoy having a SU party.

Love Elaine xx

Beverly Montez said...

Great card, Paula.
i really like the stamped background.
Xo
Beverly

xxxtglxxx said...

I cant believe you made that background DP!! :)

Gorgeous paula, very fluid and creative, and good for you - it looks brilliant. Great ribbon and butterflies, and the main image is delightful.

I have missed your little comments and creations, so glad you are back up and running.

hugs

xxalisonxx

brenda said...

Hello Paula

Another lovely creation, so much detail and as I might have said before, I just adore that poppy stamp.

I have very recently purchased my first ever Stamping Up prducts, one of which is the piercing mat. And I am very impressed by the clarity of the stamped images.

Thank you for joining us at Penny Black at Allsorts again this month.

B x

Pauline said...

This is fab, I love your fussy cutting! That stamping is fab too, a great card.

paul said...

Recycle my cell phone ..Nice Graphic designs...

Stamps and Paper said...

A really pretty card... love all those butterflies.

Anne

Ellie said...

Wow, what a beautiful card! Love the image you used and what fabulous details!

Thanks so much for sharing with us at penny black at all sorts! Hope to see you again next month!

louise said...

Very pretty love the background and the main flower looks fab, thanks for joining us again at Penny Black at Allsorts.
Louise xx

Ribbon Girl said...

Lovely background and like your butterflies (and your recycling!) Thanks for joining in with he Ribbon Girl colour challenge. Mary and Andrea x

Mervi said...

So beautiful and stylish entry, love it,
thanks for playing with us at
Penny Black @ Allsorts;-))m

kath said...

beautiful card paula and hey if I am allowed to have an assistant next time...I will be knocking on your door and off we go to the NEC...thanks for joining in the fun this week at Penny Black Saturday..hugs kath xxx

debby4000 said...

Wonderful beautiful card Paula.
luv
Debby