PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Friday, 25 February 2011

Is This Masculine?

front of card

close-up showing dark green tone on tone 
stamped & embossed grid pattern

close-up of image showing paper pierced
scallops

an angled close-up to show texture of green 
& pearlescence ofwhite papers plus the 
sparkle of hat fur trim & ribbon
(click on images to enlarge)

Normally I would add my photos of the inside here - but at present I am unable to access any of my photos. I've just installed an updated version of the photographic programme, so it seems something has gone amiss - I shall be back with those photos when I've consulted Apple Technical Support; I just don't know enough & I don't want to lose what I've already typed into Blogger. 
EDITED 26th Feb
It seems that Blogger & my photo software had a mismatch of what they could handle & some kind of bug in Blogger knocked out some of my Mac settings; the fail safe is to move my blog to MobileMe which has a tested seamless operation with my operating system so that is what I am aiming to do - however there are a few preliminary matters for me to get my head round so I'm back functioning with Blogger & the missing photos follow. I have to say that Apple Technical Support were extremely efficient & talked me through a very complicated procedure with the utmost patience to get me straight & functional, plus they answered all my questions as to what had caused the glitch to happen. 

inside of card

close-up showing textured green paper
& sparkle of gold cardstock

My own interpretations of what constitutes a "man's card" have been seriously challenged since I married & I now know that the only safe answer is to ask my husband. That was what I did with this challenge. I gave him my box of Penny Black stamps & asked him to pick something masculine - this is the image he chose for me. So, I have made a  man's Christmas card using a mirror image of Bev's Wild Orchid Challenge sketch as the basis for my layout.

For the base layer of a dark green tone on tone stamped & embossed pattern I used a variation of this Scor-Pal technique; using the embossed grid as a guide to stamp the small holly motif (from the same Penny Black transparent stamp set) in certain squares.

For the fur trim of the bear's hat I applied a layer of the chunkier Ice Stickles followed by the finer Black Diamond Stickles, allowed this to set, coloured it with the Black Sakura Stardust Pen & applied a final layer of Black Diamond Stickles.

Recipe
Stamps Penny Black 30-055 Xmas Snapshots (image & background holly motif).
Inks Memento Tuxedo Black (image), Pine Needles Distress Ink (for stamping holly background motif & inking some cardstock edges).
Colouring Derwent Artists Pencils with paper stumps & Sansodor, Inkssentials White Opaque Pen, Stickles glitter Glue (Ice Stickles Crystal Ice, Black Diamond), Sakura Stardust Pen.
Cardstock An assortment of greens, golds & cream in various finishes from stash.
Papers Pearlescent white & textured green from stash.
Punches Woodware (circle & scalloped circles), Martha Stewart (border).
The ribbon is from stash.

Challenges Entered
Penny Black Saturday Challenge Week 139 - Men's cards (see above)
Wild Orchid Challenge 17 - Bev's sketch (see above)

12 comments:

Lorraine said...

oh he is so sweet and i love the layout and the bright colours i would say definately yes it looks masculine to me and very beautiful too xx

Linda said...

He looks like a masculine bear to Me Paula but I still thinks he`s cute! perfect colours for this card too xx

Pauline C said...

Great male card hun - v cute Xmas teddy. Thanks for joining in this week's Penny Black Saturday Challenge
hugs
Pauline x

Judy's Crafty Moments said...

Paula, Thank you so much for your continued support of my wee blog!! I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness so much!

Your card is just great! Love the green and blue combo and the teddy bear is so very cute:) The use of the border punch just adds that extra element of interest.

I am doing well having recovered from the round of bugs in our house. Family life always has to come first and sometimes blogging just has to take a back seat for a while. I always appreciate the relaxation it brings when I can get back creating again :)

I hope you have a very restful weekend ,

Love Judy xx

xxxtglxxx said...

I think this looks great for a mans card Paula :)

Bears are always a safe bet as they are cute, but neutral. ;) Strong bold colours and a simple layout gives it quite a contemporary feel, and the embossing gives it dimension. I also think dark green is a classy colour for a male card. Even the ribbon is perfect as tartan is how pyjamas come! lol :)

Have a great weekend,

hugs

xxalisonxx

PaulaM said...

Well, if R says it is masculine, than you have to believe him. I love all the texture that you have created on this card - and you have done a fab job with the green.

Debgem said...

The image is very cute, but I think teddies are perfect for everyone. I love the colours you've selected - strong, vibrant - and there's texture too. This is really nice - yes, it's a masculine card.

Annie said...

man can be so difficult! but you pulled it off with this fabulous festive card Paula. thanks for your well wishes - I'm just feeling drained with a virus that isn't actually doing much but hang about making me tired and irritable. At least hubby's cough seems to have gone so no more being kept awake half the night listening to him wheezing and coughing. I just need some sunshine and flowers in the garden .. .. and a big bar of chocolate!
hugs, annie x

Debs said...

Of course it is masculine. I love the papers and all the texture you have included. I have that ribbon too and never thought of using it for Christmas cards.
Take Care Debs xx

Elaine said...

Fabulous card Paula, and yes it's masculine.
You know I just don't 'do' male cards so you get extra Brownie points off me!
I love all the different elements and textures.
I hope you gave Saint R a pat on the back for picking the image out, he did an excellent job.

Love Elaine xx

saturated canary said...

i think it is a perfect guy's card...probably best to keep it simple for the boys and play up different tones of the same color-- as well as texture. Anything too fussy will probably not get noticed by them anyway;)...so yours hits it right on the nail-- simple and clean...while still keeping it festive!...

as always, really well done!

xoxo

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Well, R has very good taste!! :) Love the embossed grid pattern and the color is my favorite!! A perfect card for a guy!! :)