PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

An Old Lump in The Sugar Bowl For The Forum

front of card

close-up of image showing paper pierced
scallops, the glazing on 
beak & claws is just visible

close-up showing stamped feathers 
on green tag & brown cardstock

inside of card
(click on images to enlarge)

Challenge 51 at the Sugar Bowl is a sketch by Kiki (which I rotated 90 degrees clockwise) with an optional Birthday theme whereas the forum challenge this week is to use the oldest Sugar Nellie stamp purchased. The latter was the basis for my card as at one time I only had this owl image from Sugar Nellie &, unusually for me, I used a sentiment stamp for the Birthday theme.

Recipe
Stamps Sugar Nellie Owl cover mount Craft Stamper Magazine July 2009 (image), Doodey ST24042 Happy Birthday (sentiment), Elusive Images UA4SP0218 Birds of a Feather (assorted feathers stamped on dark brown panel & green tag).
Inks etc... VersaMark watermark stamp pad with Stewart Gill Metallic Gold Embossing Powder, Brilliance Coffee Bean (sentiment & inking some paper & cardstock edges), Distress Inks (Walnut Stain for stamping feathers on dark brown panel & Peeled Paint for stamping feather on green tag & inking some cardstock edges).
Colouring 3D Crystal Lacquer Primary Colours (beak & claws of image).
Cardstock An assortment from "stash".
Paper Nancy Watt Collection - Owls & Swirls.
Punches Woodware (circles & scalloped circles, tag).
The jewelled glittery flowers are from "stash".

Challenges Entered
All Things Sugar Nellie (Paper Craft Planet) Wk 44 - Something Old (see above)
The Sugar Bowl Challenge 51 - Kiki's Sketch + theme: Birthdays (see above)
Wild Orchid Challenge 15 - Let's Get Sentimental: use a sentiment

11 comments:

sallysbitz said...

Great card, love the paper it matches so well x

A friend of mine would adore this card, she just loves owls.

hugs sally x
sallysbitz.blogspot.com

Marion said...

Great card Paula and that DP matches this cute owl perfectly.
I have this stamp somewhere, forgot I did have it so thanks for using it and reminding me.
Marion

Debgem said...

I just love all things owl!!! This is such a sweet image, and I love how you've used glossy accents just on the claws and beak. Great backing papers too - super card!

Elaine said...

I have to admit Paula that I've never seen this owl image before!
You've matched the papers to the image perfectly, and I love the shiny beak and claws!

Love Elaine xxx

Lorraine said...

hi huni i am back now lol i love this one the stamp is so cute and i just love the paper its so beautiful and matches perfectly xx

TaraG said...

OMGosh this super cute,Paula! Love the Owl image and paper too...perfect combo! Love it!
Hugs,t

xxxtglxxx said...

I really like this Paula - owls are so popular right now too, so its amazing that you have had this stamp so long! :) Great DP and birthday tags, and I love the pierced scallop circle, it looks very effective. Your inside, as always is brilliant, and I really like the contrast of a simple image, embossed on dark card against such lovely co-ordinating paper.

Its a great sketch too - I loved it :)

Have a great weekend

hugs

xxalisonxx

Krista said...

Hi Paula:) I love your owl card--so cute and perfect bc everyone is loving owls right now!!:)

Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog...I always love reading your comments on the SN blog. You are very insightful and always make me think. I'm glad you said hi-- I had been hoping you'd stop in some time!!

Lovely meeting you and have a great weekend!!:)

Krista, xoxo

Giò said...

Ohhh Paula.... I love the owls and I love your card too!!! It's perfect combo betweem image and papers!! Fabby gold embossing!!
Happy Sunday to you dear ^:^
Giò

Elaine said...

Hi Paula, I know I've already left a comment on this fab card, but I need to leave another one saying:
Thank you for playing in the Sugar Bowl Challenge!

Love Elaine xx

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

What a wonderful card Paul. I love the owls on the paper and the stamped owl image as well. Love him gold embossed!!